First Worship Service in Hungarian
Yesterday, I walked by the church with the Martin Luther King plaque to see the meeting times. It clearly said 9 o'clock. This morning, I went at 9 o'clock. Only three people were there, all of them quite young. Two were fairly fluent in English. They told me that the service started at 10. They had come to rehearse since the youth worship band was in charge of the music. I recognized two of the three songs they sang. I've recorded one during the rehearsal that you may listen to here. Perhaps you recognize this one, too.
Shortly before the worship service, the man with the guitar who had taken the lead in the rehearsal, introduced me to a member of the church who could translate for me. The translator did an outstanding job, especially considering he had no chance to prepare. He told me that the man who had asked him to serve as translator was the future youth pastor. Later in the service, a prayer request was voiced for the future youth pastor and his wife, who was in the hospital because of an at risk pregnancy. She will stay in the hospital until her twins are born, hopefully she can make it until the due date in early October.
The translator is a sweet man. He lives about 12 miles outside Szeged and first came to the services at the church to be a part of the youth group about ten years ago. He joined the church last year before the pandemic. He is a part-time student in the American English program in a university 250 miles away and works full time as a special education teacher. When I asked about the time. At the end of the service, he asked if I knew anyone at the church and found it incredulous that I should go to a church that I found out about simply by walking by. When he found that I did not know anyone, he asked me for my email address so that I might have some connection to someone in the church.

Comments
Post a Comment