Accomplishments

298 forint=$1
Today I celebrate my 8th day in Szeged.  Except for a jaunt to the grocery store to buy milk for breakfast, I have spent the day at home.  I went to buy friut, but the fruit stand was closed. I had two small achievements at the grocery store this morning. I was able to answer no when the cashier asked me if I would be paying by card and I was able to count out my coins quickly. In the picture below, I have them sorted by denomination:  gold with silver trim (100), large silver (50), large gold (20), small silver (10), and small gold (5).  I used to have a 200 forint coin that is gold trimmed with silver, but I spent it.
  Yesterday, I filled out paperwork at the university. I had not done so the evening before because I thought it would be in Hungarian, but when I was in the office and turned the form over, it was in English.  The landlord has another form to sign and is scheduled to come on Saturday morning to do so. He will also collect rent for the first month.  Since I am not yet officially an employee of the school, it is my responsibility to pay, starting next month, the school will pick up the tab.

It was on my list to transfer money to the landlord today because I did not understand from yesterday's conversation at the office that the landlord would accept the payment as cash.  The secretary wrote me this morning, apologizing for changing the schedule and asking to move the meeting we were supposed to have this afternoon to tomorrow afternoon. I was concerned about holding on to the money I had changed and expected to deposit on Tuesday for yet another day and asked if there was another reason for the delay.  Apparently, there was not, but while I was thinking of it on my walk to the grocery store, it occurred to me that it would be better to wait since I can't withdraw money from my account until I get an ATM card and I won't have an ATM card for 2 weeks.

This morning after my walk, I wrote an email to my colleague who I met for lunch on Tuesday and who showed me around downtown last Saturday. I was thinking that she would be an excellent tutor for Hungarian. She said she'd never taught Hungarian, but she would try and that she liked the way I had laid out my language goals as well as proposing a field-trip heavy curriculum. In return for Hungarian lessons, she suggested that I tutor her in English grammar to help get her up to speed for this fall, when she will be teaching it to her students.  She knows my style of processing grammar because I shared an online grammar quiz that I had prepared for my class and asked for her feedback. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August Blessings

Fall Colors and Cityscapes