Week in Review







Daily Life

I once read that foods shaped like a particular organ were good for that organ. The example I remember from the article is kidney beans are good for the kidneys. Are heart shaped potatoes good for the heart. I chopped up my heart-shaped potato yesterday and boiled it in the tea kettle because I haven't yet mastered the gas stove (I never really liked gas stoves). I added the boiled potato to a chopped tomato and a can of kidney beans, then garnished it with arugula and cheese. That was the main meal of the day yesterday and will be my main meal today as well once I get home from picking up a bike.

Yesterday, I spent 8 straight hours working on the syllabus and materials development for my grammar class. Somewhere along the way, I got the idea to start a new blog for my students so we can have a central place for questions and answers about grammar. There are only a couple of posts on it now. I still have some tutorials to create and two other classes to write syllabi for. I don't have to worry so much about materials development for the other two classes since it has mostly been done and I'm not ready to shake things up with my established American colleague yet.

Language Learning

On Tuesday, after meeting with my tutor, I struck out on a mission to find a bilingual English-Hungarian Bible. I visited three books stores.  In one I found a Hungarian Bible as well as some Francine Rivers books translated into Hungarian. In another I found Hungarian-English dictionaries. In the third, a smaller one not far from where I live, the bookseller greeted me when I came in. I greeted her in Hungarian, then reverted to English. She brought out the English books that she had: three on Hungarian culture, and four or five novels. I asked if she had a Bible (I had learned this word in Hungarian at the first bookstore). She had one in Hungarian, but not in English.  

On Wednesday, I met my tutor near the market, where I would practice my numbers. We went to the mall to see about getting a phone number (she thought I could get a prepaid plan without a residence permit; she was right, but I had not carried my passport with me and needed that). While at the mall, I suggested going to a cafe to take the quiz that she had prepared. She suggested a cafe in the bookstore. Before going to the cafe, we browsed the books. My tutor asked the bookseller about a Hungarian English Bible; they didn't have a Bible, but they did have a New Testament, which I bought.  In searching for a Hungarian-English Bible online, I found a website with the Bible in multiple languages. Not only can I read the Hungarian alongside the KJV English translation, I can also listen to it. I've been following along in the hope of differentiating the sounds for o and u when they are accompanied by a long accent mark, two long accent marks, and two dots.

Weather

I pulled out my cotton long sleeve shirts today. It looks like the hot days of summer are over in Szeged. 



Comments

  1. Send some of your cool weather our way!! Good blog. Enjoy reading about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could blow this cold away.. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

August Blessings

Fall Colors and Cityscapes