Diverging Roads
On my walk today, I went the park by the riverside.In August on one of my walks, I had discovered a boardwalk that went back to the river, but did not take it all the way to the end. I turned around and took the paths that I knew. I haven't been back to the boardwalk from the streetside because of construction. I wondered if one of the riverside paths through the park might go there, so today, I set out to find out. As you may have surmised from the picture, it did. When I got to the street, however, I had to turn around and go back or find a way to hop over a hole that was 8 feet deep and six feet across. This time, I turned around at the street and walked back to the river.
On my way back, I was in a mood to explore and, thinking of Robert Frost's poem about two roads diverging in the wilderness, I took the one less traveled by. I discovered there was a reason it was less traveled by; it didn't go anywhere. I returned to broad path and found a second narrow pathway. This one led to the main road, not far from one of the larger grocery stores where I can found spices and a space heater several weeks ago. It was closed today for Republic Day, a commemoration of the 1956 uprising against the Soviet Union and the 1989 founding of Hungary as a republic. There may be a metaphor somewhere in the stories of the diverging paths. I'll leave it to you to ponder.
Comments
Post a Comment