October Highlights

It has been nearly three months since I started this blog. This post, in addition to reviewing the events of October, groups and summarizes some of the less frequently viewed posts. 

Permission

Settling in another country requires getting permission from government authorities. Click on PaperworkDocuments, and Follow up for detailed saga. Here are the highlights:
  • October 2- went to immigration to follow up on status of residence permit
  • October 15- discovered immigration is closed on Friday, but document was delivered to my door.
  • October 20- returned to immigration to clarify next step (found that the process wasn't complete)
  • October 26- went to immigration and picked up residence card
  • October 27-went to health office to apply for social security number. Afterwards, went to bank and registered by official residence, which removed the $2 fee for withdrawing cash.

Language Acquisition

When I first came, a teacher from the school showed me around the city, acquainted me with the history of Hungary, and taught me greetings, numbers, colors, and days of the week.  I have a quiz on numbers every time I go to a grocery store, which sometimes I pass and sometimes dismally fail. In September, I joined the course that the university offers on Survival Hungarian, in which I am quizzed on vocabulary every Tuesday.  I'm making progress from the first week, when I scored 1.5/10. My last quiz was 8.5.  My last trip to the market was 66% of vendors understood.  To trace the history of my acquisition of language and culture, see the following posts: AccomplishmentsWeek in ReviewThursday TodosFarewell SummertimeMilestones
  • October 26 mid-term exam (results still unknown)

Hungarian Church

On my first Sunday in Szeged, I had intended to go to a church I had found online, but I wasn't quite over jetlag and overslept.  The second Sunday, I went to a church that I had discovered during my walk (See
First worship service for details). On the third Sunday, I went to the church I found online (see Sunday for details), which I joined on September 12 (see Sunday Surprise for details) and have attended faithfully ever since. 

Food

Early on, and quite prematurely, I promised no more food pictures. I've rescinded that promise because so much of what I do as well as what I learn about the Hungarian culture is somehow connected to food. If you're not interested in food, don't visit these posts: Last Food PictureFruit Soup
This month, I've learned about quince and celery
Zeller
  • October 15 introduced to quince (See Quince for details)
  • October 20 given more quince from the garden
  • October 22 purchase Hungarian variety of celery (pictured on right) and made first batch of celery soup.

Walks

Szeged is a beautiful city with lots of parks and tree-lined avenues. I walk everywhere. This month, I discovered Aldi and a similar store Lidl on my city hikes.  The pictures in the heading of this post were taken on my walk on Saturday.  Here is a list of posts of other picture albums recording the beauty of the city




 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

August Blessings

Fall Colors and Cityscapes